Wednesday 20 April 2011

Chocolate-coated snakes


I hadn't even thought of this idea until I saw some chocolate-coated snakes for sale in the cafe at work. I quickly bought some (purely for educational purposes, of course) and decided to re-create them at home. I must say, my snakes taste better to me - probably because I used my favourite chocolate.
I thought I should share the "recipe" with you (if you can call it that) in the chocolatey spirit of Easter.



Ingredients
300 g of your favourite chocolate
350 g pack of snakes

Method 
  1. Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Keep on medium heat until chocolate is melted, stir until smooth and remove from heat
  2. Wait for chocolate to cool slightly (just a couple of minutes), then dip each snake in the chocolate
  3. Place chocolate-coated snakes on a sheet of baking paper to set
  4. Refrigerate once completely set.
the unsuspecting victims

preparing the torture chamber


Tips
  •   When melting chocolate in a bowl over simmering water, be careful not to burn yourself on steam escaping from between the bowl and the saucepan - especially when you're stirring the chocolate. You can actually buy double-boilers to use for this exact kind of thing, but I haven't bothered yet.
  • I found that waiting for the chocolate to cool slightly before dipping the snakes into it meant that everything was less messy, and the chocolate didn't spread out too much on the baking paper while the chocolate was still setting
  • Don't like snakes? Chocolate-coat your favourite lolly instead. I would love to see some photos. Next I'm going to try chocolate-coating some of Darrel Lea's soft eating liquorice... Those will be some massive chocolate bullets! 

1 comment:

  1. If I ate lollies and/or chocolate I would love to try chocolate coated strawberries and creams.

    ReplyDelete